Exam: Cisco 200-120 - CCNA Cisco Certified Network Associate CCNA (803)
The basic configuration of a switch involves configuring network setting and setting password on a switch. After performing basic configurations on a switch, you can customize and manage a switch using the device manager.
Perform Basic Configuration for Catalyst Switch through UI
The prerequisites for the basic configuration of catalyst switch through UI (User Interface) are: A Windows PC with Windows XP/2000 or later version installed on it, a web browser application installed on PC, and a crossover cable to connect PC to the switch.
To perform the basic configuration on switch, you need to follow the steps given below:
1. Make sure that nothing is connected to switch and then power the switch. The POST (Power on self test) starts on the switch.
2. Press Setup button on the switch and connect the switch to the PC with crossover cable.
3. Wait for the SETUP LED to turn green to start a browser session on the PC. The setup window appears automatically on PC.
If Setup window does not appear automatically then you need to find out the default gateway configured on your PC and then type it in your web browser window to go to the setup window to view the setup window.
You can find out the default gateway by typingIP configcommand. The default gateway is required because a switch configures its management address as the default gateway for the LAN adapter card.
The setup window displays the following fields:
4. Click Submit to save the initial configuration of the switch that you have made.
Configure switch using Command Line Interface
You can configure the switch through Command line interface also by typing the following commands at the<Switch> prompt:
1. Go to the privileged exec mode of the switch by using enable command.
2. Set the system time.
Switch# clock set 20:09:01 3 July 2014
3. Verify the time.
Switch# show clock
20:09:06.079 UTC Thu July 3 2014
4. Go to global configuration mode.
Switch# configure terminal
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
5. Configure hostname for the switch and then press enter.
Switch (config)# hostname Switch1
6. Set location information on the switch.
Switch1 (config)# banner motd c 2000, N. Glebe Road, Cheektowaga, 89131 c
7. Configure secret password, and press Return.
The secret password is encrypted.
Switch1 (config)# enable secret testsectpass
8. Configure an enable password, and press Return.The enable password is in plain text.
Switch1 (config)# enable password testenblpass
9. Configure a virtual terminal (Telnet) password, and press Return.
Switch1 (config)# password termpass
Switch1 (config)# line vty 0 15
10. Configure the interface that connects to the management network.
Switch1 (config)# ip routing
Switch1 (config)# interface gigabitethernet 3/24
Switch1 (config-if)# no switchport
Switch1 (config-if)# no shutdown
Switch1 (config-if)# ip address 10.14.122.107 255.0.0.0
Switch1 (config-if)# exit
11. Exit from global configuration mode:
Switch (config)# exit
12. Verify your configuration.
Switch1# show run
13. Configure a default route.
Switch1(config)#ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.16.10.11
14. Verify the IP information by using the show ip interface brief and show ip route commands.
Switch1# show ip interface brief
Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
Vlan1 10.4.220.206 YES manual up up
FastEthernet1 unassigned YES unset up up
!--- Output suppressed.
Switch1# show ip route
Codes: C - connected, S - static, I - IGRP, R - RIP, M - mobile, B - BGP
D - EIGRP, EX - EIGRP external, O - OSPF, IA - OSPF inter area
N1 - OSPF NSSA external type 1, N2 - OSPF NSSA external type 2
E1 - OSPF external type 1, E2 - OSPF external type 2, E - EGP
i - IS-IS, L1 - ISIS level-1, L2 - ISIS level-2, ia - ISIS inter area
* - candidate default, U - per-user static route, o - ODR
P - periodic downloaded static route
Gateway of last resort is 172.16.10.11 to network 0.0.0.0
172.16.10.0/24 is subnetted, 1 subnets
C 172.16.11.0 is directly connected, Vlan1
S* 0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via 172.16.11.11
15. Save the running configuration:
Switch1# copy system:running-confignvram:startup-config
You have now successfully completed the initial configuration on the switch.
Which of the following options would you configure on a switch to manage the switch remotely?
The switch can be configured to be managed remotely by configuring default gateway on the switch.
Related IT Guides
How to Claim the Refund / Exchange?
In case of failure your money is fully secure by BrainDumps Guarantee Policy. Before claiming the guarantee all downloaded products must be deleted and all copies of BrainDumps Products must be destroyed.
Under What Conditions I can Claim the Guarantee?
Full Refund is valid for any BrainDumps Testing Engine Purchase where user fails the corresponding exam within 30 days from the date of purchase of Exam. Product Exchange is valid for customers who claim guarantee within 90 days from date of purchase. Customer can contact BrainDumps to claim this guarantee and get full refund at email@example.com. Exam failures that occur before the purchasing date are not qualified for claiming guarantee. The refund request should be submitted within 7 days after exam failure.
The money-back-guarantee is not applicable on following cases:
This is a ONE TIME OFFER. You will never see this Again
Enter Your Email Address to Receive Your 20% OFF Discount Code Plus... Our Exclusive Weekly Deals
Save 20%. Today on all IT exams. Instant Download
Use the following Discount Code during the checkout and get 20% discount on all your purchases: