MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010: How 70-662 TS Differ From MCTS 70-663 PRO?
Certification: Microsoft MCITP - Microsoft Certified IT Professional
The 70-663 TS and the MCTS 70-662 PRO are part of the MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administration 2010 certification. Many who have attempted both exam say that they are similar in structure and also questions, but when analysed in details, the two tests differ. The two Microsoft test differ in few areas, even if they seem to focus on the same material. As a student or applicant of the MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010, you might want to know the similarities and difference of the two papers. The Microsoft Certified IT Professional Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010 is one of the most-important exams offered by Microsoft. To be able to earn this certification as a candidate you are required to pass the two separate exams on Exchange Server 2010.
Main differences between the exams 70-663 PRO and the 70-662 TS
The first required exam in MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010 is the 70-662 TS: Exchange Server 2012, configuring which is followed by the other exam required, the 70-663 Pro: Designing and Deploying Messaging Solutions with Microsoft Exchange Server 2010. When take a quick look at his two exam or the study guide for both exams, you will notice that many of the topics and skills tested overlap each other. If you decide to do a detailed analysis of the material tested in both, you will find that they cover a lot of similar materials. Let us have a brief summary of what each exam examines from the candidates:
Exam 70-663 PRO
This is the Designing and Deploying Messaging Solutions with Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 exam. This certification test measures the candidates' ability to be able to tackle technical tasks. The following are some of the topics tested in this exam:
- Outlining the Exchange Server 2010 Infrastructure (this takes around 20% of the exam)
- Set up the Exchange Server 2010 Infrastructure (takes 20% of the exam)
- Build and set up security for the Exchange Organization (20 % of the total exam)
- Build and deploy Exchange Server 2010 availability and recovery (21% of the total exam)
- Build and set up messaging compliance, system observing and recording (takes about 19% of the exam)
These are the various topics and skills that are examined in the 70-663 PRO exam.
Exam 70-662 TS
This is the Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, Configuring exam of the Microsoft Exchange Server. This exam also measures the skill and ability of the candidate in various technical topics. The following are the skills and topics tested in this exam:
- Installing and configuring Exchange Servers ( takes around 15% of the exam)
- Configuring Exchange recipients and public folders ( 14% of the total exam)
- Configuring Client Access (15% of the exam)
- Configuring message transport (15% of the exam)
- Monitoring and reporting (13% of the total exam)
- Implementing high availability and recovery (15% of the exam)
- Configuring message compliance and security (13% of the exam)
These are the main topics and skills tested in the 70-662 TS exam.
That was a quick summary and overview of the two exam so as to show a few of the differences in the topics tested in the papers. Let us also have a look at more comparisons between the two exams:
One of the easily noticed difference is on the name of the exam. The exam has different titles. The 76-662 exam has the official title which is TS, which indicates that if the candidate passes the exam, they will receive an MCTS (Microsoft Certified IT Professional) certification. On the other hand, the 70-663 exam does not have the TS title but uses the PRO title. This means that the exam is a Microsoft Certified IT Professional level exam. Pro-level exam in general is more advanced compared to TS-levelled exams. This does not mean that the 70-663 is more difficult than the 70-662 exam.
The exam 70-662 TS covers specifically the fundamentals of Exchange Server. This exam requires that the applicant understands and knows how to install various Exchange Server roles and also that they know how to configure and manage Exchange Server 2010. In summary, you find that the 70-662 exam covers almost all the important aspects of the Exchange Server 2010. Many find this to be the hardest exam compared to the 70-663 Pro exam. When the candidate has attempted the 70-662 exam, they should have enough understanding of Exchange Server 2010. The 70-663 Pro exam is based more on information that you should understand after attempting the 70-662 TS exam.
You find that many applicants find the 70-663 Pro exam a bit easier since they have already attempted the 70-662 TS exam. The Exam 70-662 TS, mainly tests the applicant on installing, configuring, maintaining and administering of Exchange. The 70-663 exam on the other hand tests the applicant to check whether they understood the material from the previous exam. The main difference of the two papers is that needs to have more understanding of Exchange 2010 in the 70-663 Pro exam. With the 70-663 exam, the candidate needs to have more comprehension of Exchange 2010 since this paper expounds on the ideas tested in the 70-662 paper.
Also, you find that the training material used to prepare for the exams is different. One cannot use one guide to studying for the other exam. Each exam study guide provides different materials, books, training courses and tips for each exam. As a candidate of the MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010, you need to have full understanding of the certification course so as to know which skills and abilities are tested in the two exams. One needs to pass the two exam with a high score so as to get the MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator 2010 Certification.
Related IT Guides
- How effective are MCITP Database Administrator, SQL Server 2008 Boot Camps
- How to prepare for MCITP SharePoint certification with online resources?
- Is MCITP: Virtualization administrator about to undergo changes?
- MCITP Database Developer 2008: Is self-preparation realistic?
- MCITP Enterprise Messaging Administrator on Exchange 2010: What Topics to concentrate on?
- MCITP Exchange Server: The Roadmap to better preparation
- MCITP: Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Administrator: Certification and skill building path